- To raise funds and awareness for The British Red Cross for the UK services and overseas campaigns.
- Recruit fundraising volunteers and Ambassadors.
- Work within the 3 for 1 remit, gaining three times as much as the investment input.
- Protect the Brand across the UK districts by running courses and awareness events for staff and volunteers.
- Media management and engagement
- Run large events in the counties and become a team member for the large events in London events.
The British Red Cross is an international charity that not only raises money for humanitarian crisis around the world but it also runs lots of services in the UK for people in need.
It was while working for The Red Cross for three years that I learned the true meaning of Brand Management. From how staff and volunteers behave while wearing the uniform to how the brand is portrayed in the media.
The brand is one of the strongest in the world and therefore its management and protection is a matter of life or death to volunteers working to save lives in war zones. There can be no greater lesson than working for such a strong brand as this one.
Through being on the events team who ran large events in London that included celebrity hosts and guests I learned all about effective planning and management in this sensitive area. Just the seating plan alone could be a nightmare!!
Celebrity engagement was a large part of working for the Red Cross as they are the people who raised the profile of the charity on TV and radio.
Student work placements
I constructed and ran a student work placement programme throughout the Red Cross that not only gained us valuable young people to engage with the charity but it also provided the students with extremely valuable work experience.
This programme worked alongside the university in Nottingham curriculum ensuring the students gained maximum credits towards their course work.
It was due to my work with the students that Nottingham Trent University invited me to become a Business Mentor at their HIVE facility that was created specifically to help young entrepreneurs to start their own businesses.